Tuesday, September 9, 2008

School Bells and Update...



Ahh, another month or two goes by without an update.




All is well in the Wheaton house. Raegan and Gavin are growing like weeds. Gavin in verbalizing more lately and has made a few attempts at complete sentences. Raegan is a non-stop chatter box and has the ability to switch topics mid sentence. Her negotiating skills are improving but Molly and I still hold our ground and use the time out when needed. Gavin follows his sister everywhere and has figured out how to 'fight back'.


We witnessed this during a disagreement between them over his blanket. Raegan kept taking it away. So Gavin got a running start from one end of the kitchen and gave Raegan a solid back-check from behind- sending her flying to the floor. Raegan laughed but Gavin was all business when he turned around for another run at her. All Molly and I could do was stare and say "Did he really just do that?". I was able snag him in mid stride to prevent a second hit.



Raegan began pre-school today. She cried and protested in the morning but was glad to be there when we arrived. She toddled in with her Princess backpack and made herself at home. She was excited to see "little toilets" they had there and blended in with the other kids quickly. She discovered a book that was the same as the one she had at home. The teacher asked if she wanted to read it. Raegan replied "I can read this book" (She can read through memorization, which is pretty impressive given my ability to comprehend anything). So I encouraged her to go read the book to the teacher. No screaming or crying when we left. I got a a hug and kiss on the cheek. I looked over my shoulder as we left and got a wave and little smile as she climbed next to the teacher and began to open the book.


As Molly and I left, it took everything in my power not to spin around on my heels and go back for one more look. Granted, she is only three, but I felt a little tug on my heart knowing that this was the beginning of a new stage in her life. My 'baby girl' became a big girl today- and I could not have been more proud of her.

No comments: