Monday, January 12, 2009

Mmmm...Sliders.....

From 'The Dad'...

As I have settled into my new job, I have slowly grown accustomed to working from my home office 5 days a week. Two of those days (Monday & Friday), Molly is off work and the house is full of people. I shut my office door and work diligently throughout the day, appearing only for meals and biological breaks.

Those days are challenging at times. At least once a day, Raegan will come bursting into my office singing, yelling, or excited to tell me some tid-bit of news that I just HAD to hear. Of course, this only happens when I am on a call with a client or on a conference call. Needless to say, I am fast to hit the mute button- but sometimes not fast enough. Gavin, although quieter on his visits to dad, enjoys pulling things off my desk that interest him and immediately bolting across the basement with them all the while laughing.

Raegan does take some interest in my work. She will bring in her little chair, sit next to me, and ask if she can help. I keep a notebook with a sharpie nearby and make her take notes (e.g. write her name, draw a circle, etc.). She likes looking at my site plans and maps. Raegan has also become my mobile assistant. Days that I have to do site visits or head to T-Mobile's corporate office, she typically joins me. She has become quite popular with my clients that when I show up without her they tell me "I was hoping Raegan was with you today..."

She joined me today to do some work out in Livoina. It was lunchtime and she was begging for McDonalds. When came up on a White Castle and she asked me what it was. I replied "sliders". Her lack of response confirmed she was confused. I followed up with "Little hamburgers served in a castle.." That sold her. We went in and ordered up a 1/2 dozen sliders. She was a little apprehensive, questioning the ingredients as she lifted the bun and peered at the mystery meat. I instructed her not to ask questions about what was in it and just to eat it. She enjoyed it. I on the other hand have been reliving them via the occasional 'Verp' and rumble in my gut. The smell of onions lingers in my car. That reminds me, maybe I should crack my windows...

Gavin has suddenly become Mr. Independent and Mr. Aggressive. We have repeated our efforts at removing him from the crib and into his toddler bed. He's adjusting well, but will abuse his new found freedom. Last night, after about a half hour of assuming he was fast asleep, we heard music. Molly and I glanced at each other and rolled our eyes. I walked in his room and he was on his floor playing with his 'Handy Many' musical tool box (thanks Unlce Mike & Aunt Beth) His nightlight is giving off just enough light to allow him to play. This was short lived as I scooped him up and rocked him. He was fast asleep within 5 minutes and remained there until morning.

With Gavin's growth comes his manly-ness- meaning he has become a little more aggressive lately. Taking flying leaps off the couch and not hesitating to give you a body slam if your are not paying attention. We are trying to keep this in check, but it is hard to do when you are laughing at him. He's becoming more interactive as well and we are getting better at interpreting what he is saying. However, I cannot say the same for him. If he is being bad, our threats fall on deaf ears. Thus, Gavin has been introduced to 'time-out'. He hasn't grasped the concept fully, but he is slowly getting the idea.

Both kids are doing well and are healthy as can be.

Later!

No comments: